Nominations are open for the CYCA Ocean Racer of the Year Awards, which will be presented on Friday 3 March 2023 in conjunction with the Audi Centre Sydney Blue Water Pointscore Prizegiving.
The complete list of categories is as follows:
- Ocean Racing Yachtsperson of the Year – The most prestigious of the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia’s five awards, this is presented to the leader of an Australian ocean racing campaign who has excelled above others during the qualification period.
- Ocean Navigator of the Year – This award was instituted in 2008 to recognise the integral role that navigators play in the successful campaign of a yacht.
- Ocean Veteran of the Year – Awarded to a stalwart of the sport, who has either been campaigning for a number of years, or who has returned to offshore racing after a brief hiatus from the sport of sailing.
- Ocean Rookie of the Year – Awarded to a competitor who, whilst maybe no stranger to crewing or participating in ocean racing, has for the first time campaigned their own boat within the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia’s prestigious blue water sailing program.
- Two Handed Ocean Racers of the Year – Awarded to two competitors that have excelled within the growing two-handed class.
- Sally Gordon Memorial Trophy for the Ocean Crew Person of the Year – An award which recognises a non-professional crew member that contributes significantly to your program, and can be a crew member who greatly assists in the preparation of the boat prior or post racing, or assists in completing paperwork and other association race documentation.
- Youth Ocean Racer of the Year – Awarded to a sailor under the age of 25 who has exhibited strong commitment to and enthusiasm for offshore sailing
Please note all nominations should be in respect of performances and achievements during the period 1 January 2022 to 31 December 2022, with nominations due 22 February 2023.
Please contact the Sailing Office if you have any questions.